Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Jumping On The Band Wagon

Homemade laundry soap

That's right. I started doing what so many are doing all ready, making laundry soap. It was so easy. I don't know why I thought it was going to be hard. I have been thinking about doing it for over a year now and just barely (a month ago) got around to doing it. I was really worried about my kids sensitive skin. I was buying the Tide Free and Gentle detergent because they were allergic to every other brand. I did a lot of research and it seems that the Fels Naptha and Ivory soap are great for sensitive skin. Since I've been using the home made soap we haven't had any allergy issues and my clothes are just as clean as before. I love it!

I attached the link to the recipe I followed above. Here are a few things I noticed when I made the soap. I've made it twice now. The 2nd time I made it I made 3 batches because it was so easy.

* The Fels Naptha soap is a harder soap than the Ivory soap. I cut it with a knive and put it in my food processor. I didn't even grate it first and it turned out beautifully.

* Because the Ivory is a softer soap the food processor did not work as nicely. I found that it was much easier to grate it.

* I put the soda, borax, and grated/processed soap in the food processor to mix it really well.

* My kids have not had a reaction to either soap and they both clean my clothes.

* I store the soap in old, large yogurt containers. I can fit 3 batches in 2 containers.

No comments: