Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Anthony Surgery Day

Yesterday, 2/27/12, we left our house at 5:00 a.m. and arrived at Loma Linda Children's about 5:40. Our check in time was 6:00. I just got Anthony out of bed and brought him in his jammies. When we got there he wanted his clothes on so we changed in the waiting room.

Much happier with his clothes on.

You can see the cyst above his right eyebrow here.

In the pre-surgery area. He was a little overwhelmed by everything but still in good spirits.

His rainbow jammies that he wasn't really impressed with.

The anesthesiologists came out and gave him this mask that smelled like strawberries. The nurse gave him Tylenol and "happy juice". He really got giggly right away. He was so funny.

Some of his comments-
Mommy, why are those curtains laying down?
Why are there curtains here?
Take off my jammies.
My name is Jaileigh Addison!
I want pink bubble gum, purple bubble gum, no pink bubble gum.

When they took him away he was so out of it, I didn't think he cared that I wasn't with him.

Dr. Ray, his plastic surgeon.

The surgery lasted a little under an hour. Loma Linda has a pager/texting system. They texted me, at 7:41, when the surgery started  and let me know how he was doing and then again when it was over at 8:37. The surgery went really well. Dr. Ray said the cyst was bigger than they thought but she was able to get it all. She did layered stitching through his eyelid to minimize scarring. The eyelid has very thin skin so heals very nicely, but also looks very ugly until it heals. The stitches are dissolvable so we don't have to see her again for 2 weeks.

Anthony did NOT do well coming out of his anesthesia. He was disoriented and frustrated and if you know Anthony he does not handle that well. He fought for 50 minutes, screaming, thrashing, ripping his lines off, and they finally decided to resedate him. I was sweating like crazy from trying to hold him and he was sweating from fighting so hard. He came out of the second sedation much better. He was still mad and frustrated but we were able to talk him down. From that point on whatever he wanted, he got. His nurse pretty much threw in the towel. While he was resedated she hooked him back up to everything. He wanted it all off again so he got it off. He wanted his clothes on, shoes on and wanted to go. He drank his sippy cup full of water and held it down so they let us go.

Resedated. Thankfully we were able to save his I.V. line from the thrashing so that they could resedate.

Ready to go home. He got to take his monkey and blanket back with him to surgery. When he was back there they dressed his monkey up like a Dr. He didn't like it and wanted it off. I hurried and took a picture first.

We stopped at the gift shop so he could pick out a prize. The only thing he wanted was pink bubble gum, 2 packs of it too! They didn't have it so he settled for the princess purse, 2 packs of green gum and a pink balloon that said ,"It's A Girl". I do NOT allow the kids to chew gum so this was a big deal that I promised he could have it.

On the drive home he decided we needed to stop at another store to get his pink bubble gum. (Don't worry, I fixed his seat belt after this picture.)

Daddy stayed home with the 4 little munchkins. He got them ready to visit Ms Betsy by 8:00, fed them breakfast, cooked fried chicken legs for lunch and they even drew Anthony pictures. He did a great job!

Jake, Annie, Jaileigh and Michael showing off their pictures for Anthony.

Sitting by Daddy. We were under strict orders from Dr Hanna, the anesthesiologist to not leave Anthony alone. Where ever he went we had to go with him and usually had to carry him. He was so off balance from the anesthesia.

He woke up disoriented and upset at nap time. He wanted held finally. After his nap he finally seemed to feel better and really acted "normal" again.  

Hanging out with dad.

Blowing a "bubble" with his bubble gum.

Annie wanted to be like Anthony.

Playing with the train.

Watching Mary Poppins.
Jaileigh, Michael, Anthony, Jake

Anthony and Jake

Jaileigh and Michael

Finally, a smile from her.

Jake wanted a band-aide too.

Jaileigh said that tomorrow she is getting surgery.

Michael is just happy.


Annie had a really hard time today. She cried most of the day and was just inconsolable.

Please excuse the jello that has been on his face all day. He didn't want to be touched around his face so I just let him be.

Ready for bed. He refused to put his jammies on so I'm wondering if that has to do with putting new jammies on before surgery today. He also doesn't ever want to take his shoes off.
Such a cute kiddo! Thanks for all your prayers everyone!

No comments: