Monday, September 17, 2012

A Normal Day At Our House

Usually when I blog you just see the happy stuff. I used to be better at posting the bad stuff. A normal day consists of many, many meltdowns, tantrums, messes, clothing changes, streakings, escapes, owies, screams, shouts and much more.

4:20 a.m. I get up and head to the gym, most of the time there are 3-5 children in the bed with Mike and I. When the number is closer to 5 littles in bed, Mike can be found on the couch or in Jaileigh's bed.

7:00 I get home. Mike has usually gotten the kids dressed and started to feed them breakfast. I take over trying to get them ready for speech or preschool. I have to make sure they get protein for breakfasts or we will have many more breakdowns during the day.

While I am trying to get the kids ready the toy room gets trashed, the toilet paper gets unrolled into the toilet, a box of toddler wipes will get emptied, Annie decides to wash her hands and floods the bathroom, or she finds a pen and writes on the walls, blinds, couch, and whatever else she can find, Jaileigh gets in my make up, someone gets in the fridge and spills milk, Jake decides he wants to do a puzzle and empties the puzzle on the floor demanding me to help him, the five decide to climb on the piano and play it with their feet, or they decide the couch is a gymnastics floor. I could go on and on and on!

One day Jake opened the garage doors, drove his little car out and started playing in the street. While he was doing this Anthony was busy upstairs in my closet. I got Jake inside again where he smelled trouble and ran to it (Anthony). I made my way upstairs and Jake came running to tattle on Anthony. Jake was holding 5 or 6 empty contact cases. He was so excited to let me know that Anthony had emptied them. I walked as calmly as I could into my room. I immediately smelled something funny. The closer I got to my closet the stronger the smell, SMOKE! I couldn't see fire anywhere. I also couldn't see Anthony anywhere. Jake found him in the bathroom. He was standing in there looking guilty as could be. The smart kid had flushed the burned matches. The ones that weren't burned were shoved in his pockets.

He had dumped the dirty clothes out of the hamper, turned the hamper over on top of a suticase and the dirty clothes pile so that he could reach the top drawer of my dresser. In there he had found the contact boxes (2 of them). He went to the corner of the closet and emptied every single contact in there. He then found the matches and somehow figured out how to light them. Lit one, burned the carpet, must have panicked and flushed it down the toilet.

Meanwhile, Michael emptied every book off the book shelf because he and Annie were playing school. Jaileigh had emptied all the clothes out of her dresser looking for her white skirt and was in meltdown mode.

8:00 a.m. I get the kids re-dressed because they all somehow become naked again, hair combed, food in their hands and start loading the car while trying to make sure faces and hands are clean and shoes are on feet. I'm still in my gym clothes, sweaty and stinky, hair crazy but we are going to be on time!

8:30-9:00 Speech for Jake and Anthony, sometimes Michael.

9:00-11:30 Preschool. Annie and I get some free time! Lately we have been spending at the old house cleaning, repainting, and sweating.

11:30 pick-up kids

12:00 Lunch- I have to explain that I am not a short order cook. Sometimes I just give in and become a short order cook.

1:00 Naps, I try to get all of them down at the same time but every once in awhile one of them gets off schedule. It's usually Annie because she falls asleep earlier.

3:00-5:00 I play referee until Mike comes home to help, get dinner ready, try and straighten up the morning mess, all the while trying to keep the kids out of trouble.

Between 8 and 9 we put the kids to bed.

These kids are so energetic! I just thought that I would share some of the craziness. Blogging you can choose what you share with the world. I try to post all the roses and princesses and happiness. Life is hard with kids. Our house is the same as everyone elses, wild and crazy and far from perfect. There isn't a day that goes by that I wish it were different. Every crazy day I thank my Heavenly Father for my active, healthy, and energetic little miracle babies. My life would be so lonely and boring without them.


2 comments:

jennygranola said...

I love you so much! This post just makes me wish we lived closer so our craziness could intermingle. We had such a wonderful time visiting you guys, even if it was just for one afternoon. You're fantastic parents. I love your "deep breath" attitude. I still tell myself, if Amber can do it with 5, then I can do it with 4! Take care of yourself and hopefully we'll see you real soon :)

CR and KB said...

Hello! My name is Kelley and I am currently 6 months prego with quads as well! I have finally decided to start reaching out to other quad parents and found your blog after searching on google. I don't know much about blogging but started on a few months ago... teamsandness.blogspot.com

I see after looking at a few of your posts that you are LDS...we are too! What a small world. I really like looking through your posts, some scare me a bit but most make me excited! My email is charlieandkelley@gmail.com. Thanks for your blog!