Wednesday, November 9, 2016

World Series Champions!!!

November 2nd, 2016

Mike will write this post. He will definitely be able to explain the importance of the Cubs winning the World Series after 108 years.

Watching the Cubs win the World Series with my family was an unbelievable experience. The Cubs winning is more than just a team winning the series. Any Cub fans reading this will understand.  I will try to explain this as best I can in this post.

For me as a child I would come from grade school in the back in the 70's and 80's and watch the Cub's games with my grandma, those were some bad teams back then but I didn't care. My grandma loved Jack Brickhouse the Cubs announcer she would call him the "hey hey " man. That's what he would say if the Cubs hit a homer.  Then my dad would come home from work and ask if they won. or if anything exciting happened.  I also remember my mom and dad telling me stories of when they would go on vacation and "follow" the Cubs around.  They were called Cub tours.  I was so jealous. 

When I started high school the Cubs finally had great year 1984. It was the first time since 1945 they made the playoffs.   They won the division and were the favorite to go to the World Series.  They were winning the NLCS 2-0 against the Padres but ended losing the next 3 games and lost the series.  It was so heart breaking.  The Cubs had some really bad years going forward but in 1989 they made the playoffs but were beat by the Giants. Then again 11 years passed until the next playoff appearance, another playoff loss to the Brave in 1998. 

Finally in 2003 this was our year,  The Cubs had Kerry Wood, Mark Prior as two of the most dominant pitchers in the league and they were young. They also had Sammy Sosa and Mark Grace leading the offense.  It was a great year. They made it to the NLCS against the Marlins and were leading the series 3-1, we had it. Until we didn't. The Cubs lost 3 straight to Marlins and lost the series.  Another tough loss.  As you can see it's not easy being a Cubs fan.  Fast Forward to 2007-2008.  Again the most wins in the league but an early first round loss to Arizona and the Following year the Dodgers. After the 08 season the Cubs were awful. Finally in 2015 they surprised everyone and made the playoff as a wildcard team. They beat the Pirates and then went on to beat the hated Cardinals.  The young Cubs with KB, Rizzo, Russell, Arrieta, Schwarber ETC exceeded everyone's expectations. Could it be our year?  Nope.  The Cubs ran into the Mets and were just outplayed. Oh well Wait till next year.

AH.. 2016  This was the year.  Embrace the target. Well they did. Best record in the league.  103 wins  7 all stars.  What a team. The playoffs started with a series victory over the Giants in 4 games. Scoring 6 runs in the 9th inning to win game 4.  Then coming from behind 2-1 against the Dodgers and winning the next 3 games to make it to the WS. Curse, what Curse? 

The Cubs were now facing the Indians. The Indians took a huge lead in the series 3-1 .What now? Wait again? Not this team. With KB, Rizzo, Schwarber, Russell, Baez, Lester and Grandpa Rossy, they didn't and wouldn't quit. A remarkable 3 game winning streak and a WS victory. 

As stated it was more than a WS win for Cub fans. It was for all the loved ones who never witnessed one from their beloved Cubs.  This victory brought happiness and tears to our family.  I wish my dad was around to share it with me and my mom understood what happened.  But I do know that somehow they know what has happened.  The Cubs are loveable losers no more! (Mike)



Watching the final game. The series was tied 3-3. We had the TV on, the iPad on and I (Amber) was watching on my phone.


huddled around the iPad


Flying the W!

No comments: