Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Grandma Shirley

My angel mom with her mom

It’s the little things, the small, everyday occurrences that you’ll remember. The laughs, the stories, the smiles. For my grandma I will always remember her smell. When I walk by someone or into a store that smells like her it always brings back her memory.

My sweet Grandma Shirley passed away 6 days after her birthday and just a few days before Mother's Day. I have many memories with my Grandma, from when I was very little, to when I was a starving college student homesick for home, to the great grandma of my children. I didn't get to see her very often growing up and not near as much now that I have children but I still have very vivid memories of our times spent together.

My grandma always smelled like patchouli, tea tree oil and other such herbs. She ran a vitamin shop out of her house, probably until the day she died. When I would visit her she would always make sure I was taking my vitamins and always enquired if I had any ailments she could fix. I will always remember her sun bathing so she could get her vitamin D and sneaking her smokes on the back deck.

I remember her taking me swimming in various swimming holes and natural springs. She was such an example of taking care of yourself naturally and enjoying the beautiful earth and all that God has given us.

I remember her "God Box". She would always tell me she put my name in her God Box and would pray for me always. When I married Mike she added him to it and always loved his beautiful eyebrows.

I remember going on walks down to the little barn or to the creek. She would always tell me the names of all the weeds and plants and tell me they could be used for. She always had stories to entertain me.


Shirley Simpson Black, 87, passed away peacefully May 11, 2017 at her home surrounded by her loving family. She was born on May 5, 1930 in Kamas, to Douglas Thurston and Tean (Woolstenhulme) Simpson. Shirley was married to Dean Black. She was a natural born healer and a self-taught herbalist. She enjoyed hiking, collecting crystals and reading. She loved animals, hot springs and keeping her journal. More than anything else though she loved spending time with her children and grandchildren. She is survived by her children: Brenda (Emery) George; Linda Russell; Mitzi (Tom) Stokes; Brent Black; Nancy Kirkham; Grant (Winde) Black; and Julie Anna Black. Also, surviving are her 33 grandchildren and 60 great grandchildren. She is preceded in death by her parents, Doug and Tean Simpson; her ex-husband, Dean; her brother Tom; and a great granddaughter, Kinley Jade Stewart. The viewing will be held on Monday evening from 6-8 p.m. at the Kamas LDS Chapel, 200 West Center Street. A graveside service will be on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 11:00 a.m. in the Marion Cemetery, Marion, Utah.

My mom and her mom




Mother and daughter- My Grandma Shirley and my mom with Michael.
These are also are little fur babies that my Aunt Brenda adopted after we had the quads.



Grandma Shirley puttng lotion on the kids.


First the girls got lotion.


Then Anthony did.


This is what happened after we left Grandma's. . . .



No comments: