Thursday, February 2, 2017

The Long Goodbye For Grandma

After a 17 year journey through the "Long Goodbye" or Alzheimer's, Mike's mom Dolores Ann Boldreghini DeMaria finished her journey peacefully on this earth January 24th, 2017 and 11:18 a.m. I never had the pleasure of meeting Dolores before the Alzheimer's set in. I've watched her change and decline over the past 11 years and cannot even imagine having to watch my parent go through this. Her peaceful death to the other side is a blessing to her children Joe, Diana and Mike. They know that she has joined their father and her husband. Joseph DeMaria and their baby sister, Donna, in heaven, They are now dancing the days away together. I like to think that they are watching over our children together and getting a kick out of their youngest child wrangling his five terrors, teaching them all about sports and trying to make them as Italian as he is.

While we were in Chicago for her funeral I was able to go through pictures at Diana's house. I snapped some copies with my phone.


Dolores and Joe together again


Her wedding day.

Joe and Dolores


I believe this is Joe and Joe


Dolores and Joe, I think.


Dolores and Diana


Dolores possibly high school.

Listening to stories over the years I have learned that Dolores was full of spunk and energy. She loved to cook and to dance. She was so full of life and everyone loved her. She welcomed everyone and anytime and made them feel like her own. I am sad that I wasn't every able to meet her but I am so thankful that we will meet again in the eternities. She raised a special son that I am so blessed to go through this life and the rest of eternity with and has given me 5 beautiful children that carry on her traits. 

Death is never easy. I love the quote by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, There are no true endings, only everlasting beginnings. The Gospel of Jesus Christ brings such peace during such turbulent times. 



I copied and pasted the comments and links from the funeral home and from face book comments. 

Obituary
DeMaria, Dolores age 83 of Melrose Park, passed away peacefully on January 24, 2017. Beloved wife of the late Joseph. Dearest mother of Joseph Jr. (Kathy), Diana  and Michael (Amber). Cherished grandmother of Bobby (Toni), Christopher (Kira), Michael, Anthony, Jakob, Jaileigh and Annie. Fond step-grandmother of Tammie, Roland and Connie. Loving great grandmother of Nicholas and Sophia. Sister of the late Eugene (Doris) Boldreghini.

VISITATION

Monday
30
Jan
 2:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Bormann Funeral Home
1600 Chicago Avenue
Melrose Park, IL 60160









MASS

Tuesday
31
Jan
 10:00 AM
Sacred Heart Church
819 N. 16th Ave.
Melrose Park , Illinois 60160










Cemetary LOCATION

Queen of Heaven Cemetery
1400 S. Wolf Road
Hillside, IL 60162






Aunt Dolores was the one you never minded dropping in on unannounced. We did it a lot to her and Joe. Always feeding us, sharing stories, reminiscing, and laughing. Wonderful memories from a warm hearted honest to goodness woman. To Joey, Diana and Michael and all your families, my sincere sympathy to you. It has been a very long journey but we know she is at peace now. Take care of yourselves, you know she wants that more than anything. Love, Kim Del Monico


My wonderful Auntie. Always a smile and a laugh for everyone. Always an open door and a big meal to follow. And a kick in the pants if you deserved it. She had the biggest and most giving heart of all. The fondest of memories of someone that brightened every day and every life she touched...I love you Auntie...Patrick Del Monico Jr.


To the kindest woman I ever met. Rest In Peace Dolores. My sincere condolences to the entire DeMaria family in this time of sorrow. Sharon Meola

Diana & Family I am so very sorry for the loss of your Mother. Your Mother was a Wonderful a Woman. We had some pretty good laughs and tears through our acquaintance. You are in my thoughts and prayers Always. Love Always Debbie

Amber, I've been down with the flu, but I'd like to take a moment and use our post to send a message to Diana, Mike, and Joe: Your mom's spirit was amazing. It's nearly unbelievable how she wouldn't give up. I wasn't near her enough when she was with us, but I remember that when she was around, people were laughting. She and your dad should have been professional dancers. They were beautiful to watch on the dance floor. The two of them lit up a room. It's hard losing a parent, brutally hard. I'm glad you all were healthy enough to make the trip home to say goodbye. She usfferd way too much, but think about the strength she showed through that suffering. We lost a good woman. Take care,Jeff Torricelli

No comments: