Sunday, November 24, 2013

She Earned A Visit To The ER

Annie didn't get any better at her syringe feedings. On Friday I was only able to get her to take about 90 ml/cc of water the whole day, including pediasure. She urinated once the whole day, threw up once and had diarrhea once. She was extremely lethargic, no tears when she cried, refused meds and water, would spit them out. I don't know how she had the strength to refuse but she did. The only good news to the whole day was her fever finally broke! After texting the pediatrician for a couple of hours we both decided she needed to go in to receive fluids.

 
The nurse poked her, missed her vein, probed around for a minute before blowing her vein. She switched arms and found a vein in the other arm. Annie never made one peep. I don't know if she was scared or too letharic to care. It made me really sick to watch it. I got really clammy and sweaty and thought I was going to pass out. I was nervous for a few minutes that I was going to end up on the floor.
 
She received 300 ml of fluids and then they checked her urine. She was still throwing ketones so they gave her another 200 ml and then sent us on our way.
 
 
 
It is so awful to see your baby in the hospital. We got released around 2:00 a.m.  Daddy took such great care of the other kids. They watched a movie with his projector on the wall and had so much fun.

No comments: