Monday, March 18, 2013

Lost Chickens In The Field

Last weekend we obtained two more chickens. I found two green egg laying girls that I thought were full grown. When I went to pick them up they were really small. I asked how old they were and they guy "thought" they were about 6 months old. I driven all the way out to the boonies so I decided to just get them. I knew that chickens have a pecking order and so I bought two new ones instead of just one, thinking they could be friends. Our four original chickens were not nice to the new, smaller ones. Snowball was the meanest! I let them out of their run thinking that if I let them in the yard they could have more room and wouldn't pick on the little ones anymore. This morning we went out and the little chickens were on top of their coop. Everytime they would come down the big chickens would chase them.  About two seconds after I went back in the house the kids started yelling, I went back out and the dumb chickens had flown over our wall. There is an easement behind our house that the city owns. This is where the chickens were hiding.

I got a box, climbed the wall and tried to catch them. They could fly so there was no way I was going to catch them. One of them ended up flying over another wall into the field. We had preschool this morning and I still had to feed the kids, so I gave up. I gathered my children and we headed home. On the way home Anthony slipped on some slime and got his clothes and shoes all slimed. Yuck!

When we got home from preschool the first thing the kids wanted to do was find the chickens. We got our box and headed into the field. We didn't find the chickens but I got some cute pictures.



Anthony
 
 
Jaileigh
 
 
Michael

 
 
The ground was really wet and all of us girls wore flip flops. Annie was not impressed with the mud between her toes.
 
 
Jakob
 
 
Michael, Annie, Anthony, Jaileigh, Jakob
 
 
 
Anthony, Jaileigh, Jakob


 
 
I love this of Jaileigh. She rested her chin on her hands and said, "Mom, I don't want to sit in the mud like this all day!"
 
 
Anthony and Jaileigh were in deep conversation about their flowers.
 
 
 

 
 
Michael
 
 
Jakob
 
 
 
Annie fell down.
 
 
Anthony
 
 
 
Jaileigh
 
 
Annie


 
 
Jakob
 
 
Anthony
 
 
I love Annie's widespread arms. Michael was mad because we couldn't find the chickens.
 
 
Anthony, Annie, Michael, Jaileigh, Jakob
 
 
Update** I found the chickens during naptime but haven't caught them yet. They flew back into the easement. My plan is to wait until dusk and then catch them. Hopefully, they don't get eaten before then.

No comments: