Monday, February 28, 2011

Sick Days At Our House

Today I had a dilemma. Michael was supposed to go in for his allergy shots at 8:30 am and Annie had a follow-up doctor appointment at 10:15 for her ear infection. Sometimes Mike is able to help me in the mornings but this morning he had a meeting with his boss. I really didn't want to drag 5 kids to two different doctors offices bringing all of our germs and I'm sure picking up more on the way so I did what any supermom did- I had my husband call and cancel the allergy shots. I guess we will do those on Tuesday and Wednesday this week. It has been a rough week with the sickies.

Last week I took Annie in to Urgent Care and they diagnosed her with an ear infection. All of the kids were sick but now days doctors won't do anything until they've been sick for 10 days. Annie seemed to be the sickest so I took her in. That night all kids had fevers of 102-103. I called our pediatrician back in Rancho Cucamonga and got all of them in. I love that guy and his staff. I think we will just have to make the commute from now on because he is so good. On Friday he saw all the kids, even looked at Annie. Here are the results:

Anthony- double ear infection
Michael- double ear infection, possible RSV diagnosed due to wheezing.
Jaileigh- sinus infection
Jakob- single ear infection
Annie- ear infection, possible RSV because of exposure from Michael

Today, Annie's follow up was with a new local doctor. I took her and the quad squad in. First I called and told them I was coming with 5 under 2 and asked if I could wait in the car until a room was available. She told me just to bring them in and they would room us immediately, after collecting our copay, of course. The kids were HORRIBLE! They are usually good when I take them but today was crazy. Jakob wanted down, Jaileigh fell off the stool, Michael wanted his shoes on and off and on and off. He knows how to put them on and off but wanted me to do it. Anthony was pretty good and Annie was good. The other three I was ready to give away. Anyway, the doctor finally came in and said Annie's ears look bad. She is not getting better on the medication so she may have to have tubes. OH, NO! I feel so bad for her. She is such a happy baby and never cries or fusses. Even though she doesn't feel good she still smiles. He wants to check her again in a month and then go from there. Meanwhile I am supposed to keep her on an antibiotic. Please keep her in your prayers.

I do think I am going to take her to my favorite doctor in Rancho for a 2nd opinion but I have to get the courage up to take all 5.  The good news with this visit was it doesn't appear that she has RSV. Her lungs sounded good.

Here are some sick day pictures.


Michael getting his breathing treatment and his brothers sitting by him for moral support.
Michael, Jakob, Anthony

Jakey


Poor Jaileigh


Bed head Michael

Sick Annie still smiling away

and grinning some more

3 comments:

The McCleary Quads said...

Wow...well we all hope everyone gets well soon. Ours just recently starting getting well. We had one with a possible ear infection the others just were just really congested and had runny noses and were just cranky.

The McCleary Quads

Kim and Jim said...

My kids have been sick, too! I can't imagine how difficult it must be to have all 5 of them sick like that at the same time. It's hard enough for me to haul my 3 into the Dr's, or anywhere else for that matter... how exhausting for you to have to haul all 5 of them. I hope they all get feeling better soon & that you are getting some sleep!

Just so you know- Madi had tubes put in her ears at the first of January, and it has been wonderful!! She was averaging an ear infection every 6 weeks for the entire year last year. We switched ear doctors, and got the tubes put in immediately with the new one (love him!!). She hasn't had another one yet, even though I've taken her in twice to check, thinking that was it... this past week, I thought she had another one but it is just Bronchitis.

Anyways, sorry to ramble on. I'm just thinking that if Annie needs tubes, it will help her a lot, and the procedure is really very easy with only a day or maybe two of fussiness afterwards.
Love,
Kim

Kim and Jim said...

My kids have been sick, too! I can't imagine how difficult it must be to have all 5 of them sick like that at the same time. It's hard enough for me to haul my 3 into the Dr's, or anywhere else for that matter... how exhausting for you to have to haul all 5 of them. I hope they all get feeling better soon & that you are getting some sleep!

Just so you know- Madi had tubes put in her ears at the first of January, and it has been wonderful!! She was averaging an ear infection every 6 weeks for the entire year last year. We switched ear doctors, and got the tubes put in immediately with the new one (love him!!). She hasn't had another one yet, even though I've taken her in twice to check, thinking that was it... this past week, I thought she had another one but it is just Bronchitis.

Anyways, sorry to ramble on. I'm just thinking that if Annie needs tubes, it will help her a lot, and the procedure is really very easy with only a day or maybe two of fussiness afterwards.
Love,
Kim