Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Story of Anndalyn Grace

Happy Birthday dear Annie, Happy Birthday to you!

Today is Annie's one month birthday.  In celebration of her birthday I decided that it was time to write her story down.

Sometime in August or September last year (2009) I kept hearing a baby crying. If it was nap time I would run upstairs to see if someone was crying in their crib, if it wasn't nap time I would look for the crying baby. The odd thing was my babies had just turned one so they didn't have that infant cry and the cry I was hearing was an infant cry.  One day my friend was telling me the story of her kids. She said before she had her last baby she knew she was going to have one more because she kept hearing a baby cry. I then knew that we were going to have one more baby. Little did I know that I was already pregnant. I thought that we would just use one of our frozen embryos. We would wait until life was a little less hectic and the quads were in school full time. HA. Sometime shortly thereafter I took a pregnancy test and it was positive. I cried! I was not ready to have another infant. My life was so busy and crazy already. Mike and I were just barely staying sane. Well, I kept crying and then I started denying. Deny, deny, deny and everything will turn out all right. In November I went to my OB and asked him if he thought I was pregnant. He said, No. Hooray. The denying worked. (I was taking my prenatals and eating properly. I didn't want to take any chances in case my denying didn't work.)

In December I finally came to terms with the fact that I was pregnant. I bought and took at least 5 pregnancy tests hoping that one would say "No". I finally told Mike. He was so excited. I was shocked. I thought he would be upset like I was. His excitement made me feel better but I was still very nervous about having 5 children under 2.

My pregnancy was very uneventful. It was pretty much a textbook one. I was able to go back to my high risk doctor at Loma Linda Medical Center. I was technically not a high risk patient other than I was trying for a VBAC (vaginal birth after c-section). My doctor was kind enough to take me back. I was so excited. I loved the care there. So, at 30 weeks I transferred to Loma Linda.

On Saturday May 29 (39 weeks 6 days) at 1 or 2 in the morning, I finally went into labor on my own. The day before at my doctor appointment we had set a c-section date for the following Thursday. If you are a VBAC patient you cannot be induced. You either have to go into labor on your own or you have to have another c-section. I did not want to have another c-section because I didn't want to leave my quaddies for 3-5 days. I had never left them before and I was terrified that they would be traumatized. I was so excited that I went into labor on my own. I finally had Mike take me to the hospital at 7 a.m. Our wonderful friend Gina came over to babysit for us. We called my mom, who lives 5 hours away, and she packed her bags and started driving. She took over for Gina. Our other friend Karen came over and helped my mom the whole time I was gone.

Around 11 they finally gave me an epidural. Those things are awesome! The bad news was it made my blood pressure drop really, really low. My normal is 100/60 and it dropped down to the 50's. This was causing the baby to stress. He heart rate kept dropping. They would give my a shot of ephedra and it would raise for a little bit and then it would drop again. They did this about 5 times and decided it wasn't working. The decided to break my water so that they could put internal monitors inside me. They placed one in the baby's head and one on my uterus. They were unsure if the external monitors were working correctly because the TOCO monitor was not picking up my contractions. When they broke my water it caused the baby to stress even more so they decided to do an amnioinfusion. They replaced the water in my uterus with saline. This helped to the baby's stress level. At this point we decided to prep me for a c-section. They immediately carted me off to the OR and got me ready. I started crying when I signed the consent papers because I knew I wouldn't see my quaddies for at least 4 days. I was so upset. I had the best anesthesiologist she talked me through the whole thing. They didn't let Mike in yet so I was alone and she made sure that I was ok.

They finally let Mike in and they started the c-section. It went pretty smoothly. The weird thing was I could see the whole thing in the reflection off of the light. I can't believe that I watched it either. I was so excited to see the baby I think that's why I kept watching. When they got in there, they found out that the cord was wrapped around her neck twice. That is why she was stressing when they broke my water. Thank goodness they did the amnioinfusion and decided to do a c-section.

She was born at 14:55 on May 29, 2010. She weighed 7 lbs 6 ozs and was 21 in long. The NICU team was there and took her away because she was in distress during delivery. During the delivery Mike and I finally decided on her name. I had such a hard time picking out a name and wouldn't commit to one. The quads all have names with special meanings and I wanted hers to be special too. We wanted it to be after Mike's mom. She has Alzheimer's and will probably never get to meet our children. She was just placed on hospice a few months ago. Her middle name is Ann. In the middle of delivery we agreed it would be Anndalyn Grace DeMaria.

I got to hold baby Anndalyn on my way to the recovery room and after recovery they brought her right into my room and she never left again. During delivery they cut her cheek so she has a little scar that is quickly fading. She was also born with a heart murmur. One of her valves didn't close but by the time we left on Monday it had closed. I was released Monday morning. They didn't make me stay the 4 days. I was ecstatic and wanted to kiss the doctor that released me. I was missing my baby quads so much!

We have another miracle baby. I was supposed to be an infertile woman and turned out to be fertile myrtle. Then her birth story is another miracle. We are so blessed. We thank Heavenly Father every day for our 5 sweet miracles.

8 comments:

Sunny said...

Congratulations, Amber! She is beautiful and looks a lot like you. I can't wait to meet her on Sunday!

Sara Ann said...

Wow! What an amazing story, thanks so much for sharing it. You have the most beautiful kids!

Kimberly & Alex said...

Oh Amber, she is precious. thanks for sharing!

Stephanie said...

Thanks for sharing your story!!
I think we were all shocked to find out you had another one, and now we know why :)
She is a beautiful addition to your already beautiful family!!
Congrats again!!!

L. Christensen said...

Awesome story Amber. Thanks for sharing it, and the life of your darling family.

Kari said...

I was shocked to read that you had another. It makes me a little nervous that could happen to us! Congrats on your family!

Stephanie said...

Amber - I knew this would be your story!!! What a crazy, bittersweet year. I am so glad you could finally tell us your feelings - which were all very normal and typical. Life never does go the way we plan it!! What a miracle for you and Mike. I love you and applaud your strength and courage in accepting the Lords will in your life. I also pray for your mom - Mitzi. Our daughters childbirths are about killing us off. Love you Stephanie Wilkey

Kim and Jim said...

She's so beautiful! What a precious little miracle. I know you're going to be pretty busy for a few years with all these little ones at home, but you'll miss the crazy days one day :)
Kim