Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Neon Milk, Nippling, Cannulas

Happy 5 weeks! We now have 33 weekers. I can't believe how time flies! It seems like yesterday when they were born and already they are 5 weeks old.

All babies are over 3 pounds finally!

Michael is 3 lbs 11 oz - Here he is sucking his thumb.



Anthony is 3 lbs 7 oz - Anthony rooting around for food. He has started to be very vocal about what he wants.



Jaileigh is 3 lbs 3 1/2 oz The Princess sleeping- notice there isn't anything in her nose!


Jakob is 3 lbs 3 oz - Little Jake is catching up. Daddy comforting him.



Jaileigh is also off her nasal cannula. On Saturday we took her off and she never looked back. Her face is so pretty without all the tape all over. Anthony is very close to having his taken off. He usually removes it himself and uses it as a pacifier. Jakob is a few days behind but he is getting there.


Our neonatologist gave us permission to start nippling last week. They all suck on pacifiers while they eat and we dip them in breast milk. They also wake up for their feedings and they root when they are hungry. This is typical 35 week stuff they tell us, not 32 week stuff. Maybe our children our smart?! The sucking, tasting, and full tummy feeling helps them figure out the eating process a little. Babies don't get the suck, swallow, breath reflex in utero until they are 35 weeks.

Yesterday we gave Jaileigh and Anthony bottles and started the actual "nippling" process. Jaileigh has a very strong suck and was able to take 12 cc out of 30 cc on her first try. She got tired and fell asleep after that. We gavaged the rest. Anthony has a little bit weaker suck and worked really hard to get 2 cc out of 30cc. I really thought he drank more than her because he was sucking so much more. Neither one of them had desats or bradies and they didn't choke. Today we will try Michael. We had so much company yesterday we only had time for 2 babies to try.


Anthony chowing down. He only bottle fed once. We can try them once a shift (nurse shift) until they catch on.

Jaileigh- she drank from a bottle 2 times yesterday. Once during day shift and once during night shift. Both times she did great.



Mike got to hold all 4 babies too. The nurses all felt sorry for him because he misses out on so much not being able to come in at night. The night nurses got everything ready for him to be able to hold all the babies on day shift. He was so excited. He asked me if I was going to post the pictures of him and they babies or if I was going to "hog all the attention". I should have dedicated a Mike and the babies blog.
The order: Anthony "Mr. Serious", Jakob "deep sleeper", Michael "the ham", and Jaileigh "the Princess" wondering what the boys are doing.


Jaileigh woke up for her picture.




Proud Daddy









Anthony is smiling, Jakob is still sleeping, Michael is probably pooping, and Jaileigh is sleeping




We broke the rules (actually we got permission) and let Grandma Mitzi and Aunt Rori hold the babies.

Grandma and Little Jakob


Rori and Jaileigh



Yesterday I had neon yellow milk for a couple of pumpings. I took a Vitamin B complex and it turned my milk neon yellow! The nurses thought it was quite hilarious. I did not think it was funny at all. It was actually a little embarrassing. Needless to say, I will not be taking that vitamin anymore! and sorry no pictures of that.


And yes, I have been a little under the weather the last couple of days. Life was supposed to get easier the older and more "out of the woods" your babies are, but it hasn't. I am still pumping (sucking the life out of me) every 2 hours in the day and every 3 hours at night. I spend the majority of my time in the NICU. When I'm not there I am doing BABY laundry, trying to nap, or pumping. I tried to slip in some other activities last week and it backfired on me. On Friday I went to the ER, because every doctor decided to take Labor Day weekend off, to figure out what was wrong with me. I had allergy/asthma symptoms but I haven't had either since I was pregnant. The diagnosis is that I am overtired and need to sleep more. So, I have been sleeping a little more, cut out the other activities (picking the dogs up from the groomer), and trying to eat better and I am feeling better.

12 comments:

the schirano triplets said...

happy 5 weeks! they all look and sound like they are doing fantastic! the pictures of all 4 with daddy are just precious! hope you feel better soon...i know how wearing those trips to the nicu can be, so hang in there!

Morgan said...

Happy 5 weeks old. They are doing so good and look soo cute with clothes on. I hope you feel better soon, and can get more sleep. My prayers are with you and your family.

Karmann and Ryan said...

Happy 5 weeks!! They are moving right along! I am so excited to hear about the rooting and sucking and getting some cc's out of the bottle! That is huge! I worked in the NICU alot in Vegas and it is so neat to hear the progress they are making and at a little earlier than expected! They are four very strong spirits! I loved the picture of Mike holding them! So precious! I hope you can feel better, You are such a champ! Our prayers are always with you!

Andria said...

What a handful of cuties! Love the pic of Michael sucking his thumb. He looks so comforted. And little Jaileigh without the cannula...awww! Love her bow too. I'm so sorry to hear of your ickyness. I'm sure it feels worse when you want to be healthy for your babies. :( Rest, rest, rest!

Collegegirl said...

HAPPY FIVE WEEKS! Neon milk, oh my! The kiddos are so cute! Hope you feel better soon!
~Elyse~

heidibudge said...

Mike looks so cute with the babies. I can't wait to see him in action. I'll bet he does great. Hope you feel better soon!!!

Hilary said...

LOVE all the pictures..so sweet! Grow babies grow :)

Darcy "bow makin mamma" said...

They are so PERFECT!!! I love the picture on the thumb sucking. I think there is nothing more cute than a baby sucking their fingers. Allissa sucked her thumb for one month and then stopped. I was so sad to see it go.

L.Taggart said...

They are doing so great! Take care of yourself!!!! You can do anything with a good night's sleep. Trust me. :) SLEEP :) Let people help with other stuff that doesn't matter to you as much, like picking up the dogs. Your kids all look so great! (hubby and you too, although you do look tired) Our hospital didn't let us take all the kids out for pictures until they were starting to come home. Have another great day!

The Gerwer Babies said...

Happy five weeks!!
They look SOOO good!
you seriously need to take it as easy as you can now, it only gets harder when you get home (sorry to say :() But get sleep, they are starting to nipple, they will be home before you know it. Feels like just yesterday and mine are about to be 8 months.
You are doing a great job!!!

Arnold Quads said...

Your babies are so cute. They all look great. I also remember when my little ones were 5 weeks. They are all so adorable and a lot of work. It sounds like your nurses are amazing. Congrats!

maureen

rickscher620 said...

It's so wonderful to see that your babies are all doing so well...and to think that you and Jenn (King Quads) were only a day apart is awesome! It gives us an idea of how big her babies might look on Tuesday when she has them! Loved the pic of Michael sucking his thumb...too cute!
Smiles~
Grammie Bear (Jenn's mom)