Sunday, September 14, 2008

Mike had a baby!

I have so much to write but I am going to try and keep it short.

Monday/Tuesday I got home from the hospital at 1:00 am and at 1:25 am Mike called me in excruciating pain in his lower right abdomen. I was at Ronald McDonald and told him I was on my way. I was 10 minutes into the drive and he decided to drive himself to the hospital. SCAAARYYYY. He made it safely, I think because I was praying so hard. I was also praying that it wasn’t his appendix. I did not want him in one hospital and my babies in another. I couldn’t believe that this was happening. By the time I got there, in record time, they have found out what was wrong with him. He decided he wanted to have a baby too- he was passing a kidney stone. Thank goodness! That was much better than the appendix. They did a CAT scan and found that he had already passed it 95%. We spent the night in the ER. Mike was passed out from all the drugs he demanded and I was pumping every 2 hours and listening to all the other crazy patients. I got back to Ronald McDonald at 7:20 am. Just in time for my doctor appointment at 8:00.

Keeping it short isn’t really working so far . . .

Wednesday my Aunt Julie flew in for a visit. Hooray! The babies are at such a fun stage. She was able to hold and feed them. Most people don’t know that preemies do not do well with stimulus. The normal things that you do to babies like rubbing, patting, and holding them really stress preemies out. When the babies were first born we had to be really careful not to over stimulate them. So, no one got to hold them other than Mike and I. Now that they are getting bigger they are more stable and can tolerate a little more stimulus. Jakob still struggles and we have to be really careful not to over stimulate him. He does really well with skin-to-skin holding.

Friday Mike went in to the NICU and took care of the babies and Julie and I worked on moving more stuff from Crestline, unpacking and organizing the new house. Exhausting! I had a hard time being away from my babies. We went in that night and stayed a looonnnggg time.
Saturday morning Julie and I went back to the house to help Mike some more and when we got there, the people from our church were there. They were busy cleaning, organizing, moving big furniture, lining shelves with liner, fixing things. A couple of women took all the baby clothes home to wash, fold, and organize them. Dana even went and bought us a boxspring, delivered it, and set up our bed. We had to leave our box spring in Crestline because it wouldn’t fit down our stairs. It was amazing! We moved less than a week ago and already the church has welcomed us with open arms. It is such a relief to me. I know that I will have so much support and help. We don’t have any family here and I was worried about getting people to help. I am no longer worried.

Julie went home with promises to come again. I am trying to recover from a week of little sleep, a lot of work (I am wimpy, no muscles), and fun with babies. Here are the pictures and baby stats.


Anthony

He is the worrier. He always has this worried look on his face. He is very alert and just stares. He is more of a night owl. I think that is my fault.

He is working on nippling. He sucks a lot but sometimes not much comes out of the bottle. He needs to work on getting stronger muscles.

He is 1908 grams 4 lb 3 oz He can be taken out of his incubator. We are just waiting for an available open crib. His incubator is turned off and he is keeping his body temp.

He is off oxygen!


Michael

He is the calmest baby. He rarely cries. He is so alert and when you hold him he will just stare at you with his huge eyes. I wish I knew what he was thinking.

He is in an open crib. He is working on nippling still. Sometimes he takes his whole bottle, sometimes he takes less.

He weighs 2020 grams 4 lb 7 oz

Jaileigh

The princess knows that she is the princess. She knows what she wants and is very vocal about it. She does not like her diaper dirty and she does not like to be hungry.

She cries if she doesn't get to nipple. Yesterday she took her whole bottle under 10 minutes. She was acting like she was starving.

She likes to poop and pee all over whom ever is changing her. She projectile pooped all over her bed again and had to get a new one. That is really gross for a little girl.

1769 grams 3 lbs 14 ozs

Daddy gave her a tub bath last night. The nurses are doing a great job of training Mike so that when they get home he will be useful.


Jakob
Little Jakob is no longer the smallest. He passed Jaileigh and left her in the dust. He is now nippling and took his first whole bottle this morning. Toni, his nurse, is a miracle worker! He is tolerating more stimulus and we are able to hold him more. He is still the "stressiest" baby.

He is more alert than he used to be. He will also look at you when he is held. He doesn't stay awake as long as the other three. He has the cutest little bottom. I just want to pinch it.

He is 1840 grams 4 lb 1 oz. He can also be taken out of his incubator!

Michael and Jaileigh cuddling.





"This is my mommy time, go away!" Jakob is telling Jaileigh


Jakob and Jaileigh- "Fine I'll share mommy, I'll even let you suck on my fingers."


Melissa, one of our favorite nurses, with Jakob. She has already promised to come live with us (right Melissa?)


Daddy holding the babies- Jakob, Jaileigh, Anthony, Michael
Aunt Julie, proud parents, and the babies


Aunt Julie and Michael having an intense conversation about life.

Anthony sleeping with his pacifier. He looked so peaceful.

Jaileigh and Daddy- look at her little hands.

Daddy giving his first tub bath to Jaileigh.

Bottle feeding after the bath.



9 comments:

Morgan said...

I am Glad that Mike only had kidney stones and not anything else.

Misty said...

I hope Mike is recovery well! And I hope you are too! The babies look amazing and seem to be doing great! Love the update. Good luck with the move and I'm glad you have found a good support team. It makes a huge difference!

Sammy'smommy said...

Babies are beautiful and look so fantastic
(as do you!!!) What a wonderful thing it is when God provides a new church family that welcomes us with open arms. Glad you have found that!!! Praying for no more kidney stones, ER visits or craziness.

Sunny said...

Okay, I think every guy should have to have kidney stones one time in his life just so they appreciate what we moms go through during child birth (and women NEVER)! I've heard the pain is as close as it gets to having a baby. But Mike's timing could have been a little better! It still doesn't sound like you're getting much sleep! I hope Jules took good care of you! I love all of these new pictures. Adorable! Love you guys!

Andria said...

Aww, sweet, sweet pictures! What? No pics of Mike's baby?? j/k. My husband "had a baby" a few weeks ago too! And I can not imagine himself driving to the hospital. Infact, he refused to go (no pun intended) thinking there was nothing they could do. I'm glad Mike got some drugs - I choose that route!

Seriously, the babies look adorable and you look awesome too Mama! I'm so glad your church family has shown you some love and you can have some worry off your shoulders. Focus on the now! Great post!

Darcy "bow makin mamma" said...

All I can say is Mike for sure had a BABY!!!! I had kidney stones when I was 31 weeks pregnant with Allissa and I was freaking out because I was in so much pain that I though for sure I had to be in labor. I think it might have been the worst pain I ever felt. I feel for you mike. Second the babies are so dang cute!! I can't believe how big they are getting and all their accomplishments. Way to go mom and dad for all your love and support! Also, all I have to say is our church ROCKS!!! Glad your ward is helping you out!

Collegegirl said...

Sorry Mike had kidney stones. They really hurt so I am glad they are passed now. AS for the kiddos, they are so precious and I can not believe how big they are getting. Looks like they are adjusting well and yay for progress! Hang in there!!!
~Elyse~

L.Taggart said...

Glad to see the update includes help for you! The kids are looking so great! I am glad your hospital lets them be together sometimes. Keep up the good work. Love ya!

Karmann and Ryan said...

I hope Mike is recovering ok and thankful it was just a kidney stone, even thought they can be VERY painful. THe babies look so good! I am happy that you have a wonderful ward and that they are so willing to help out and be there for you guys! You need that so much and what great comfort to you! You look great and I just enjoy looking at your blog and keeping in touch this way!