Thursday, June 19, 2008

Italian By Marriage





Mike brought this Italian By Marriage T-Shirt so that he would feel better about our children being only 1/2 Italian. They will be the first non-purebred Italian DeMarias in his family line.

I went to see Dr. Oshiro today for my check-up. All is well! I am measuring 35 weeks and I am 22 and 1/2. WHEW! I knew that I felt big. He did the quick ultrasound to check heartrates and to make sure they were all kicking still.

Here are the babies heartrates-

Baby A (boy)- 146
Baby B (boy)- 154
Baby C (girl)- 154
Baby D (boy)- 146

Baby A and D are more on my left side and Baby B and C are on my right side. Dr. Oshiro said all four of the babies are towards my right side, which is probably why my back hurts only on my right side. I also feel the majority of movement on my right side or down the middle of my stomach. I was a little worried about not feeling movement on my left side but now I know why.

I lost 3 pounds this week. I think its because I haven't been able to eat much. My stomach is soooooooo squished and gets full really quickly. All day long I feel like I just ate Thanksgiving Dinner. My weight gain has been great so far so the doctor is not worried yet.

Let's see, what else can I remember . . . . . I am learning that with my figure going out the window my brain is also. I misplace things, forget things, hide things, and forget some more. Mike has been very patient with me. Yesterday I misplaced a gift card to WalMart that had a lot of money on it. I returned some curtains and they put the money on the gift card. I of course put the gift card in a "safe place". HAH! I looked in the safe place and couldn't find it. Mike later found it.

Anyway back to the doctor. Next week, at my ultrasound, they will check my cervix and if it has shortened at all he will put me in the hospital. He told me to have my suitcase packed. Yikes! Boredom and bad food. The hospital is a vegetarian hospital. They serve meat to the "inmates" but I bet it isn't that good.

I have been having contractions for about 5 weeks but they have been very irregular and I don't have any pelvic pressure, so I don't need to be too worried. My blood pressure is excellent (thank you mom) and I will have another glucose tolerance test week 24.

That was pretty much the visit and then I opened my big mouth. I said, "So, no real restrictions yet?" Dr. Oshiro looked at me like I was crazy and said, "You are 22 1/2 weeks pregnant with quadruplets. You don't need to be going to the market or planning any trips. Just take it easy, relax, stay on the couch or in bed." Bummer, there went my trip to Target after my appointment.

So, I am officially on bedrest. I feel like an old woman thrown into a rest home. No more freedom, even if I wasn't exercising my freedom, at least it was there. I think my physical body is very relieved and my brain is upset. My body is dead tired and my brain has so much to do still. I know that I am an incubator and that is my job for the next 5 1/2 weeks, hopefully longer. I will do everything I can to get these babies here, and here healthy!

Dr. Oshiro told me to expect to deliver at 28 weeks. My chances of going past that are pretty slim. If my mind has any control over my body it is going to prove him wrong. My goal the whole time has been 28 weeks but now I would love to cook our babies a little bit longer.

This post has been very long. I think that it is because I have been cooped up in the house all week and I am lonely. I have had visitors but I am used to having 200 students talk to me everyday. I am so grateful to the visitors and friends that have been by this week. Sandy came by and did our laundry, cleaned the bathrooms and entertained me. Gina came by and vacuumed, entertained, and fed me delicious cookies. Jerry came over several times, anytime he is in the room everyone is in stitches, he is so funny.

One humorous thing I learned this week is not to hang out in my underwear. It has been so hot that I have developed an aversion to wearing clothes around the house. I was caught 2 times in my skivvies. If you are interested in the story you can email or call me.

Anyway- Thanks everyone for the prayers, the calls, and the visits. Until next time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there little girl!! Your mom is in a neck brace for another 6 weeks, but will be down next week
and we can play checkers and watch
the Political circus on the news!! You are doing a great job and we are all cheering you on and keeping you deeply in our hearts and prayers. Love you tons, Mom

Burkett Quad Squad said...

I understand what you're going through COMPLETELY!:) You WILL make it through:) this will be a thing of the past very quickly...if you can believe it you won't remember alot of this unless you really try to. I was on bed rest from week 13-31 so i know how hard it is. But my quads are perfectly healthy and wonderful so it was all worth it. let me know if i can do anything for you....
jennyhasquads@yahoo.com

Jenny

Misty said...

Sounds like you are doing awesome! You can still get to Target. I did it up until the 26th or 27th week (just use the old lady scooters!). I still went out to eat at least once a week until they put me in the hospital at 29weeks.
Also, why is your dr saying 28weeks?? Plenty of quads go way pass that. I went to 30 (and I'm really short and had 2 previous surgeries)
Hang in there. email me if you need anything or have any questions. Enjoy the bedrest! I would LOVE some of that now!
Misty

melanie said...

hey crestline 4-0!
I will come and visit you! : ) I think you will go past 28 weeks, because on all those sextuplet and quintuplet shows they have on tv they are always going to like, 32 or 34 weeks. So, im coming over!
ciao, melanie