Friday, June 27, 2008

How do I spend my days? You must be going CRAZY!

This is a question I get asked from most people I talk to, whether they know me or not. I have been thinking about it today. Really, what do I do? I tried to think of what TV I have watched all week and I can name the shows I have seen on one hand- A Cold Case, Jon and Kate, Today show, Rachael Ray, and an Everyday Italian episode. This does not count what Mike watches. He comes home and turns on ESPN or one of the MLB channels that mysteriously appeared as part of our cable package. Normally I would have a fit that he watched that much but I really don’t care right now. Lucky for him! I also don't think that his shows count because I don't actively participate in the watching.

Reading- I do read quite a bit but not as much as I regularly do. I have read 2 people magazines, 2 Better Homes and Gardens, 2 Ensigns, and 4 books. I am usually an avid reader and can read at least a book a day. Lately I have found it hard to concentrate on reading.

Knitting, Sewing, Scrapbooking, and other crafty things- hard to do on bedrest.

Talking on the telephone- I have never been much of a phone talker and I am still not. I hate how the phone gets hot on my ear. I have upped my talking time quite a bit since being on bed rest but it is probably at the level that a “normal” person would talk on the phone. I talk to my mom everyday instead of once a week. I do text my sister and a few random people, quite a bit.

Internet surfing and blog reading- This is what I spend a lot of my time doing. I check our blog about 100 times a day for comments, I check my emails, I check your blogs at least 5-10 times to see if by miracle you have updated them, and last night I made a music playlist that I am still working on. The playlist has been a great time killer. I noticed the babies would kick a lot for certain songs. I decided that if they liked the song they kicked and if they didn’t then they rested and waited for the next song. Being the organized science person that I am I had to make a chart of my findings. Here is the chart.

Liked Artist Song Name
Yes Colbie Caillat Realize
No One Republic Stop and Stare
yes John Mayer Say
Yes Lifehouse Whatever it takes
No boys Yes Girl Sara Bareilles Love Song
Yes Blake Lewis I Got U
Yes Maroon 5 Harder To Breathe
No Coldplay Violet Hill


Ok- I can only do internet and computer stuff for so long because my eyes go crazy and my side or my back starts to hurt (my upper back not my lower). So, then I start into my new habit that I spend the most time in and that is . . . . . . . .thinking.

I really think that I spend a lot of time meditating or thinking or zoning out. I don’t want to call it daydreaming because I don’t think that is what it is. I don’t say to myself, “Self it is time to do some deep thinking.” It just happens. For example I was in the middle of watching the Cold Case File and kept zoning out into my think zone. I really can’t tell you what the Cold Case File was about or who the killer was. This is what makes doing anything so hard, I can’t concentrate, my active brain takes over. I know that the thinking has taken place when people are talking to me, especially on the phone. So, I apologize if it was when I was talking to you.

Maybe one of these days I will post some of my deep thinkings- HA ha ha. This entry has been long enough. I guess I have picked up another (bad) habit, rambling in my writings. Some of you will find it amusing, hopefully. For the rest of you just skip it, don’t hurt your brain trying to understand a pregnant woman. I won’t feel bad.

10 comments:

Marci said...

Okay, I feel bad that I haven't given you enough postings to keep you entertained. I'll try to be better. Just so you know, your long posts are the best to read. It's like having a good conversation with you instead of just a quick note. And I found that I don't have to have pictures just to justify a post, so I'll try to post more often - just for my bedridden friend :)

King Quads said...

Hey Girly,

Happy 24 Weeks!!!!

We are praying for you guys. I love your post on what you do all day - I started working on one last week too, but haven't posted it yet...pretty much the same as yours. I actually took pictures of the things I do to get me through the day too. Just wait a few more months, we will have NO time to read or watch TV...can't wait!

G M said...

Hi Amber!

I'm a high fsh buddy of Michelle's (Hi Quadmom!) and I want to say Hi. I'm crossing everything for you that you stay ahead of everything going on with your babies and that all of you stay healthy!

Do you have a laptop for your hospital stay? With WiFi in most of them these days you can pass the time a bit with that.

You have a lot of people out here pulling for you and your family that you've never even heard about... Hang in there!

BTW, if you have an email addy that you can publish or throw out here one time then I'd love to send you notes there. (It's the public thang that gets me...)

Amber said...

I posted our emails. Hope that helps those of you who are shy. Thanks for the comments!

Anonymous said...

AmberElla,
I have loved your phone calls everyday!! I stick the phone in my neckbrace and lay on the couch. It has helped my recovery so much to hear from you and the babies everyday. We love and adore all of you and Mike too. Thanks Mike for taking such careful care of Amber and the babes. Wish we could be there to lotion your feet Am, and get doggie hugs from the grandogs!
Love you tons, Mom

fourbabies4us said...

Hey Amber,
Just leaving you something to read today...
I looked at your slideshow and was surprised to see the picture of you and Mike with my 4 little ones in there! That was a great Christmas. I guess we'll always get a laugh about Mike sleeping on the couch! (I have a feeling he'll actually BE sleeping on the couch soon)
I'll be there on the 11th! Can't wait!
Love you all,
Michelle

Mommy of Multiples...Lizzy D. said...

I remember those days...you may be super bored now but you'll be needing your strength for when the babies arrive. I read tons of magazines while on bedrest. It's great getting to read about you and your husband and your four bundles of joy. My husband and I have 3 yr. old quads. I'll be praying for you and your family.

fourbabies4us said...

Gosh Amber,
I just realized that if you were to deliver your babies at the same gestation as me, you would be delivering in 16 days....
Kind of a scary thought huh!
I wouldn't rule it out though, being best friends, you now following almost exactly in my footsteps and having 3 boys and a girl. Just think, my quads will be old enough to babysit your quads in a few years....heehee
Hope you are well today,
Love you
Michelle

Sunny said...

Okay, from one list girl to another, here are some things for you to do:
1. check out this website http://www.heritagemakers.com/ I haven't done this myself, but recently learned about it. It's beautiful scrapbooks online. You'd better get your wedding album--up until now--up to date, or forget it after the quads!
2. You could always start on your geneology! That's never ending!
3. I'm sure it will take you ages to come up with all of those NAMES!
4. Make several lists of personal items to take to the hospital! Don't forget your OWN feminine hygeine as well as your own gowns (esp. if you are nursing). Oh, yes, and LOTS of chocolate! And best of all--your Mom! BTW, what happened to your mom? I've got to email her!
That's all for now. I updated my blog yesterday--ENJOY!

Joanna said...

I just found your blog from another quad mom's blog. I don't remember whos, I read a lot. I just want to say this post cracked me up. Also, I hope this comment brings a little bit of excitememnt to your day!

-Joanna